Author Reveals Why Television & Radio Advertisements Fail To Convert

www.BentBusinessMarketing.comNot only do they fail to convert, but they are insanely expensive!

www.BentBusinessMarketing.com

The analogy is often stated, “why try to pepper your prospects with a shotgun, when you can zoom right in on your target with a sniper rifle?”

If you look at mass media advertising like radio and television, you can see that you are blasting out a message to thousands of individuals. But how many of those individuals are interested in what you have to say?

Probably a lot less than you think. In today’s society, people don’t care about what you are selling or promoting. They don’t want to be interrupted, and they’ll hold you personally accountable for their lost time.

I don’t know about you, but I get an ache in my stomach when anyone accuses me of “wasting their time”.

The days of interrupting people, and distracting them from their normal routine are over!

Unless they give you permission, you can bet the farm that they will tune you out.

That’s the way the world works now.

With the introduction of mobile technology, social media, and websites that offer something of value in return for your contact info, we have now entered the world of permission marketing. Seth Godin, one of the worlds most prominent marketers, introduced this concept several years ago. Basically, his research has shown that when we think about advertising our product to anyone, it’s imperative that we receive their permission first. They allow you, the business owner, to sell to them. Their permission comes via a Like, Twitter follow, +1, or email sign up.

With their approval, you can now blast relevant content that includes an offer, discount, or introduce a new product.

Did you notice that I underlined the word relevant?

Just because they’ve given you their permission, does not mean that they are saying “SPAM Me Now!”

Whatever you come up with,  it must have a decent amount of perceived value. Whether it”s a chance to save money, or learn something new, you should never take advantage of their nicety, and send them an inbox full of junk!

While the massive numbers that are associated with radio and television advertising look impressive, you need to think through the eyes and ears of the recipient.

Do you subscribe to satellite or online radio because you love the lack of interruptions?

Do you fast forward through the commercials using your DVR?

Like most other people, you despise the interruptions.

So why would you create them?

Social media has given us the opportunity to advertise to our exact demographic, and those that have already shown an interest in our product or service. Put it this way, if you are a small business without a Facebook page, you are stuck closing your eyes and throwing darts at a target that may not be willing to buy what you have to sell.

But, let’s say you are a smart business owner, and a few years ago, you jumped all over the rise of social media. You recognized the impact a platform of that magnitude would have in business marketing.

Now, you have a sizable page of over 1,000 fans.  And they not only accept, but appreciate all of the sweet deals and offers you created just for them!

By “liking” your page, they have given you permission to send out your stuff.

We all know it’s easier to sell to an existing customer, rather than try to win over a new one.

Why would you avoid the possibility of herding all of your most loyal followers into a single space in the “webosphere” ?

That’s a pretty attractive concept to me, and should be the sexiest thing you’ve heard all day 🙂

Here’s a quick tip, and then I’ll get off my soapbox:

When advertising using social media, be quick to adopt the old 80/20 rule.

Engage with your customers on a personal level 80% of the time, and use the other 20% to make the sale.

If you flip flop this approach, you will rapidly lose those followers due to excess selling. They want to be introduced to the face behind the business.

Let them know you are human. Post pics, tell stories, and share with them your troubles.

Not only will they buy from you, but they may even start to really like you.

You’re real, and today, that’s what matters most!

###

Join our group of Bent Business bandits on Facebook or Twitter!

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Catch you on the flip side!

~Andy

 

 

photo credit: Curatesegg via photopin cc

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *